Wednesday 25 February 2009

Gamespotting 005 - No more EVIDENCE for you, young gamer!


At the beginning my Uni semester, one of the first things that I did was read the assignment PA2 to see what work would have to be done over the course of the semester. I kept myself up to date with the deliverables to didn't look at the resource lists at the end of the document.

Last week, I was notified about the current History and Analysis reading/resource list and read what was on them, amongst the list was an unknown title that I have never heard of called EVIDENCE: THE LAST RITUAL. Not knowing much about the game, the first thing that I did was to try and buy a copy, but with little sucess. I finally obtained a copy of ebay, but has to be imported from America.

It finally arrived this morning, and after I finished my coursework. I booted up my version and give it a try and like Resident Evil Zero, I have been absolutly hooked to this game. The general theme of the title is to try and caputre a serial killer called "the phoenix" before he kills again, to do this you must trawl a CD rom that he has left for you and slowly unravel the story of this latest victim.

I have never played a game like this before and even though I have only played the title for a few hours, it is safely one of the best games that I have ever played. There are two reasons for this, the first being the way that it is not a game, more of a film with genius and unique gameplay methods added onto it, some of these I have never seen before and you must listen, look and read everything incase you missed important infomation the first time round.

The second is the packaging, I recieved the title in a plastic (CSI esq) evidence bag sealed with a lage sticker with the games logo on it. I'm not sure why other games are not sold like this insted of the stupid and overall crap steelbook cases that these sort of games would come in. Also the disks look liked that they have been drew on by the characters themselves and look like a regular CD-R disk that somebody has customised.

But after researching the title for a bit longer, I rearlised that this game never had another sequel or an update title with more gameplay and infomation about the characters. This sort of title is needed in the industry at the moment, insted of the list of EA yearly updates, crap movie/TV show Tie Ins or anything Ninetndo (apart from Mario or Zelda games of course). OK it might not sell as well as other titles in the market, but I think it would make more of an impact than Games Party on the Wii.

No comments:

Post a Comment