Tuesday 14 April 2009

Gamespotting 018 - Casting The Dream and Finding Sailors


As my university money is a few weeks away and all my current games have been completed, it has been time that I took a deep breath and looked under my Bed for a game that has been gathering dust for a few months and give it a whirl.

I was pulling piles of boxes from underneath my bed and eventually after 40 minutes of looking what to play ended up finding my beloved Dreamcast in its box. Further looking I found Shenmue, Ready 2 Rumble, Crazy Taxi and a few other titles. So over the easter holiday, I have been reliving Sega's last dream one more time and been playing these great titles one more time. I started with Shenmue, which has caused much discussion within my University group; but I will state that I love the game.

OK it gets boring in places and there is the neverending search for sailors within the storyline; but it does have its charms and does recreate real life situations better than any other game that I have seen, I just hope that eventually there will be a Shenmue 3 and the fans prayers will be answered.

Next up was Ready to Rumble which does bring back memorys of button bashing to get the rumble combos; but when playing through the storyline of my character (Boris "The Bear" Knockemov) there is satisfaction from not mashing down upon the Dreamcast controller and actually playing the game properly, I did eventually spend 5 hours playing the game and was like walking out of a daylight film when walking away from the console.

But replaying some of the Dreamcast titles has got me thinking about how did it die out so quick and what potential was wasted when it was finally scraped; just imagine if the Dreamcast won the console war of the time. How would it have affected gaming as we know it; Sega would still be in the console game, we maybe might not have some of the absolutly shocking Sonic titles that have been releases (Not naming anything there) and there might have been a Shenmue 3 out by now.

But I like gaming how it is at the moment, so maybe it was for the best that Sega failed with the console, but what a Swansong it did have and I am glad that I found it again, just need my Saturn with Nights into Dreams now and my dream week will be complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment