Thursday 18 June 2009

Gamespotting 025 - I didn't feel old until 5 minutes ago

Today; I have finished my Student Accociate position and have enjoyed it; most of it was teaching but in some occations I was talking to some of the younger students about playing games and what they were playing at that time (Most of them playing Resident Evil 5 and GTA 4)

But when talking about some older games on consoles like the Mega Drive; they had no idea of what I was talking about and when mentioning some more well known titles like Sonic the Hedgehog and Ecco the Dolphin; some of them said is that where he comes from and my jaw nearly dropped to the floor.

I thought everybody would have played a Sonic title in some point of their gaming lives; but it shocked me that they have never played these titles. It just might have been my age and when I was their age; the playstation 2 was not even out and the Dreamcast reigned supreme for the year that it was alive (RIP) and all I remember was these classic titles.

But this got me thinking about the modern age of gaming; are modern gamers being spoiled with powerfull hardware and software rather than focusing on how good the graphics are or how many people you can shoot; not saying they said this but it has become commonplace to mention the bodycount when talking about games (mainly FPS).

When the Mega Drive was out; there were no fancy graphics (compared to todays standards); no Hard Drive to store vast ammounts of media on and only being able to play games with a few friends (Rather than millions on games like Warcraft) it was all about the game and the ability to get to the end in one sitting and the experience and social experience of being a gamer expanded with the evolution of the console market with players swapping Memery Cards with their mates and using their saves.

It might just be me; it might be because I have been on a Video Games Course for Two Years and have learned to play and appriciate games in a different way than other people have; but I hope people will look back on these titles and see what games used to be like and not to be discarded because they are not as shiney as modern day titles are.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunatley Luke that's what happens over time. I'm surprised about the sonic bit though. The Mega Drive had amazing graphics at the time, especialy compaired to systems like the old Ataris and Spectrums.

    Compairing the Mega Drive to the Xbox 360 is like compairing it to an Amstrad PCW.

    I wouldn't worry about it, it just gets worse as you get older.

    ReplyDelete