Sunday 7 June 2009

Gamespotting 023 - Captian's Log C-19882 (Jump starting a spaceship with a text box)


Well I have been playing a few games at the moment; the last Phoenix Wright game on my DS; A few Sonic titles for my Dissertation Project and Finally Mass Effect.

Now I picked up the game on several reccomendations from Uni people and picked up at the Bargin price of £9.99 along with a copy of Bioshock for free and I have been hooked on the title since I have bought it.

The gameplay is one of the classic examples that can be found with previous Bioware title such as Knights of The Old Republic and it provides a simple gameplay system that is harder to master than it seems. I only found out today that you could modify your characters weapons even further and this did help when taking down some huge plant thing with Zombies following me everywhere.

The characters are rearly well designed and all of the characters have their own backstory (even if they are on the screen for five minutes)and the one mechanic that impresses me the most is the speech system which allows you to talk your way to being a good or bad character without having to play the game any differently.

But I have only one problem with Mass Effect and that is would it be classed as a Video Game in the traditional sense or is it a piece of visual fiction. I came to think about this when I was playing the first few missions and most of my time was being taken up in cutscenes with various lines of dialogue to choose from (Very Monkey Island Me Thinks) and thinking when is the gameplay going to come and when it does; it just shoves it at you unexpected which is a bit weird.

But this is only a small point and I am absolutely hooked with this title; I am going to play this to the end and can't wait to take down Saren with my Avenger 3 Assault Rifle with its umlimited pots of Ammunition

No comments:

Post a Comment